Always Young at Heart!

Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

It's the Best of Times. It's the Worst of Times!

Charles Dickens had it right. I think it was Charles Dickens anyway! This past week was a full moon...a harvest moon! It was overcast all week so that moon was never really seen by me but it didn't matter! People let you know that the moon is full! My daughter calls and lets me know that her week was the same. The moon hangs over Ohio I guess as well.

The best of times are this: I am about to turn a corner in my life. This November, I will turn 60 years old which sounds horrid so I have to practice saying it and writing it. I am, however, healthy and have so many things to be thankful for. My 50's were amazing. I stretched myself past anywhere I ever thought I would be. My job has been a pure joy. My daughters both completed college, got great jobs and are successful in their own rights. Jim and I talk seriously about retirement and it's getting easier to fathom.

The worst of times are this: I have so many things that I can see. Things that I wish were! I feel time moving so fast and this sense of urgency. Not for me though! I see it for kids today! I feel as though my two daughters moved into the world at a time when there were choices. I feel as though there are fewer and fewer choices for kids now at a time when it appears on the surface that we are inundated with stuff! Kids have plenty of "stuff" but what they will not have perhaps is a career! What happens if our kids go into the world unable to do those 21st Century things that are written about so much? What if parents object to changing the way things used to be? What happens if they don't see this thing coming? What happens if they see it but don't believe it? How do we move forward in a world that is scared of change?

No comments:

Post a Comment