Always Young at Heart!

Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Don't Think You're So Good!

Words my mom said to me when I was a freshman in college! She had dreamed of many things in her life and settled for being married and raising kids...two things she thought of completely as tasks! Nether fulfilled her dreams! I think she gained satisfaction from squashing other people's dreams then.

I am reading a book called The Element by Sir Ken Robinson. He speaks of working to find your dreams, not letting anyone talk you out of doing what you love and how it's really never too late to realize that you may have unfulfilled dreams.

I'm thinking that my dream was to be an educator because I have spent my life doing it and I have enjoyed it. Most of the time! As I truly reflect on the years though, my mother's voice haunts me..."Don't think you're so good!" For as much I have worked hard at my jobs, I'm never convinced that I have done the job justice. I believe that there are many who could have done a better job of it. Whatever "it" is.

So has education been my element? Or do I spend so much time reading, learning, seeking knowledge because I am always fearful that I'm not good enough?

Sir Ken Robinson points out that many do not discover their element until they have reached a time in their lives when they can relax from the pressures of raising children and building a career. Perhaps I am ready to go in search of my element. Once and for all, I would like to shut out my mother's voice!

No comments:

Post a Comment